Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why mention locus delicti (place of the wrongdoing)

On Nov 16, 10:18 am, kastnna <kast...@auburnalum.org> wrote:
> On Nov 15, 7:11 am, Mike Jacobs <mjacobs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes.   The law of your state will determine this.  Why don't foax tell
> > the group where they are?  Laws differ from place to place.  I feel
> > like a broken record
<snip>
> Completely off-topic, but we often don't say where we are from because
> we are ignorant and don't know what is and is not pertinent
> information. After the first time I posted, I learned it was important
> and have made it a point to include it. Many people, myself included,
> aren't (weren't) aware that laws vary so widely from state to state.
> Please forgive us and bear with us.

Consider it done.   We are, after all, still reading and replying so it isn't all _that_ bothersome even to a curmudgeon like me despite occasional rants.   And newbies are of course always welcome -- without the vitality of fresh viewpoints, the group would die out.

I guess what got to me is I had just read and responded to 2 posts in a row where this crucial tidbit of info was omitted, yours and another's.  And in addition to just thinking out loud, I was not trying to directly berate you or anyone else for posting a serious question that deserved an answer even though vital info was omitted, but rather to provide a heads-up to other newbies who, hopefully, upon browsing the group, would maybe see mine or similar reply messages and realize that the location they are writing from and the location where events occurred could make a difference to the answer they should expect, _ before_ posting their own query.   Or they could just read the FAQ, but maybe that's too much to expect unless they are already Usenet-savvy.   I realize it's hard to tell what you don't know if you don't know it.

> Again, on behalf of all newbies and non-lawyers, I apologize.

No apology needed.   You didn't do anything wrong.  I just took your post as a jumping-off point for a mild rant.

> Hopefully, if you keep chastising, some of the "lurkers" will become
> aware of its importance before posting.

Yes, that was also my thinking.   Regards,

--
This posting is for discussion purposes, not professional advice.
Anything you post on this Newsgroup is public information.
I am not your lawyer, and you are not my client in any specific legal matter.
For confidential professional advice, consult your own lawyer in a private communication.

Mike Jacobs
LAW OFFICE OF W. MICHAEL JACOBS
10440 Little Patuxent Pkwy #300
Columbia, MD 21044
(tel) 410-740-5685      (fax) 410-740-4300

No comments:

Post a Comment